LGBTQ+ people already have to contend with crippling isolation and not enough visibility. We desire a world where everyone can come together and feel free to be themselves. That is why we created Free 2b LGBT.
Free 2b LGBT is a peer support group for teens focused on exploring sexual and gender identity issues in a safe and supportive environment. Membership is open to teenagers 13-18 years old and from all walks of life. Identification as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer is not required to attend. Membership is open to anyone desiring a safe space to talk, share and grow together.
What is a support group?
There are many benefits to peer support groups. For example:
- Support groups can help people feel less alone and more understood.
- Support groups can empower people to solve their problems.
- Members can act as role models for each other.
- Support groups can offer encouragement and inspiration.
- Members are equals, which can make opening up about personal matters easier.
- Support groups can reduce anxiety, improve self-esteem and help improve overall well-being. They also have been shown to lower incidents of crime, suicide, and other social maladies in the community.
The main objectives of Free 2b LGBT are to:
- Build friendships
- Discuss sexuality, gender identity, bullying, depression, anxiety, etc.
- Develop life and social skills
- Participate in new experiences and share opportunities
- Learn how to lead safe and healthy lives
- Develop a voice
- Increase self confidence
- Develop greater personal resilience
- Explore aspirations
- Celebrate diversity